Follow chelseasneyd on Twitter

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

It's a period, not a vitamin B shot

I think advertisers get somewhat confused as to what a period or wait for it – menstruating – really is. I’m certain the campaigns are led by the men and the women sit their shaking their heads in defeat. "Who will be the one to till him it isn't blue!? Not I!"

For actual real, living woman riding the crimson wave doesn’t actually look like this.

It feels more like this,

Now at what point did advertisers decide that women when they have their period want to wear white, run along the beach doing jumping leaps and wear their best lingerie?

I’m sorry – did they miss the lesson where you learn that a period is about shedding the inner layer of your cervix? Losing skin – from your internal organs – skin tearing away....what part of that screams “yes let’s play tennis!”

This incredible clip sums up the thoughts of every single post-pubescent woman.



So let’s get real, for me when I have my period I cry at the drop of a hat, I have moments where I hate everybody, I become excessively introspective and border on a manic depressant, I resemble a four month pregnant woman, I eat anything and everything while trying to pretend there isn’t a steak knife churning in my stomach.

So – to all the woman out there don’t feel ashamed for wearing your elastic-less undies, eating chocolate for each meal and hurling at the thought of movement and clothes with no stretch, embrace that your body is doing what it is designed to do, continue its cycle to bring life.

To all the boys – ignore every single advertisement you have ever seen and never EVER say “is it that time of the month.”

No comments:

Post a Comment